Saturday, February 2, 2008

FAMILY....MATTERS


As I indicated in my last entry we had family matters to contend with in the Southern California High Desert ...OK, OK ...we needed to put Grandma's ash remains into the ground in San Pedro next to Grandpa's. He died way back in 1965 and has been patiently waiting for her to be put to rest next to him ever since. Although I'm not sure he'll ever have another minute of rest from now on.
But that was their wish ....and they are my family....so yes, it matters.
Prior to that Monday responsibility we spent Saturday night and Sunday celebrating my father-in-laws 83rd birthday and sampling one of the finest gathering of hops I've ever had the good fortune to be a part of.
My good buddy Ralph, who lives in the area only a couple of miles away right between Terri and I's parents, has been enjoying the opening of Oggies Pizza & Brewing Company in nearby Apple Valley. He collected growlers of their double IPA 'Hop Juice' and their guest tap of Green Flash's renouned 'Imperial IPA'.
Also in attendance was my brother-in-law Jimbo who made the trip up from San Diego for the weekend to celebrate the birthday and the Hop gathering. He brought growlers of Alpine Brewings 'Nelson IPA' and 'Duet'; along with a few 22oz bottles of Port Brewing 'HOP 15'.
From the North I managed to bring down growlers of Russian River 'Pliny the Elder', Moylans 'Hopsickle', Auburn Ale House IPA and the growlers of Hop Fest and General Sherman IPA I picked up at Sequoia that morning. I also threw in a few bottles of Avery's 'Hog Heaven' and Mendocino Brewing 'Imperial'.
It was a great opportunity for me since I had yet to try either the Alpine 'Nelson' or Oggies 'Hop Juice'. In fact I have been reading about the Nelson since it's creation more than a year ago and have silently been clammering to get my hands on some ever since.
Just let me tell you right here.... it lived up and exceeded every expectaion I could even imagine having. Despite the 18% rye it's kinda pale golden straw in color and carries an aroma that just slaps you directly in the face and could literely wake the dead (sorry Grandma). It gets's it's name from it's primary Hop which is from New Zealand, the Nelson Sauvin. According to the Alpine website another Kiwi hop 'Southern Cross' is utilized as well. The Nelson is the high alpha ingredient while the Cross lends a more milder and earthy style European hop character.
The Hop Juice on the other hand was a bit of a disapointment sitting amongst that line-up of beers. But don't get me wrong, it is worthy of seeking out and I am fortunate to have a growler of it sitting in the back of my beer fridge as we speak. I just won't be asking it to stand up to my thrashed taste buds after pints of all the other beers I've mentioned here. It just wouldn't be fair.
What a pleasant evening it was indeed, Jimbo, Nona (Terri's sister), Ralph, Terri and myself sitting around the fire trading off pint fills and BS stories...it just rarely gets better than that. Zack also got in on the sampling although he spent most of the evening playing cards with his grandparents in the next room. It was what the birthday boy wanted...and yep...that mattered.

No comments: