Thursday, February 7, 2008

Congrads...it's a growler!


Got a call today while I was at work....from a couple of incorrigible suspicious types I know from Southern California. It seems these shady characters were off on a bit of a hop hunting mission of their own somewhere in the Newport Beach area. I'm led to believe they were actually in the bay itself waddling around in under-inflated flatulent-propelled bath tub kayaks undoubtedly playing battleship or staging short winded jousting runs using their paddles and yelling vulgar Hunter S. Thompson quotes at the top of their lungs.
Well...maybe CP and Ralph aren't quite that crazy anymore...but I imagine they had a good time floating around Newport Bay knowing that they would finish their day with a stop at the Newport Beach Brewing Company.
They reported that the beer was pretty good and they also managed to grab a couple of growlers before tying the kayaks back on to their vehicle and making the 100 mile trip back up to the cultural wasteland.
Ralph and I sampled NBBC's products last year at the Mammoth Mountain Bluesapalooza but amongst the talent of that beer fest I don't recall their beers making an impression. Which isn't neccessarily a knock on them.
We also met the owner of the place at Green Flash Brewing last year on a growler stop. He and I were wearing matching Russian River IPA shirts. I recall quizzing him about the possibility of whether his Mom had dressed him that morning as well.
Ralph says one of the growlers is for my growing collection here in Roseville but may or may not actually have any liquid left in it by the time it makes it up here for the annual Pacific Brew News/S.O.B.E.R Group Barlewine session on Saturday February 23rd. I'm certainly hoping it does, but the best part of the bargain is Ralph is driving my parents up here for the occasion. They also get to watch Zack race in Merced on Sunday before returning home.
Just gonna be another fine weekend here at the Soberment...looking forward to it.......just like I am that Newport Beach Hoppy beer......or growler....whichever the case may be.

2 comments:

Baublehead said...

Wow, you described CP and Ralph perfectly.


Mmmmmm...Green Flash.

Anonymous said...

Hard to make the hop hunter jealous with my IPA exploits in the PNW, but I had one tonight that might do the trick. The Hubris Imperial IPA from Elysian. As potent at is was, it was hard not to throw back multiple pints. As you like to say, this beer just didn't suck.