Saturday, February 2, 2008

CP and Hop Hunter Down Time


No trip to the So-Cal desert is complete without some time visiting some of my favorite peoples...The Beardsley's of Oak Hills. The famous CP, Mealticket and their two bodachious offsprings daughter Jillian and Son John Paul George and Ringo.
Unfortunately on this trip we didn't get to hook up with Laurin (Mealticket) or the kids but were fortunate to spend a couple hours with David...or CP which he is more commonly known as around the likes of us.
CP is much celebrated far and wide as the coffee roasting guru of Oak Hills. His purple bags of 'Red Shoe Roasting' beans are coveted and horded around the Soberment like gold currancy. CP is known for many other attributes as well, but none moreso with me than his deep affection for all things hoppy. He is the first person I ever knew that appreciated a lot of hops in their ales and for that I am forever thankful to be witness to.
Being a big fan of Stone Brewing he has been pleased to find that in the past year their products, as well as other assorted hop drinks, have begun to become available in the High Desert area. Formerly known as the 'Cultural wasteland' for the lagging of proper beer in the region in the midst of the craft beer revolution, the desert now finally has a brewery of it's own....Oggies Pizza & Brewing Company in Apple Valley. Which is presisely where CP found us on the Sunday of our Desert visit.
Typically my luck precluded Oggies having any 'Hop Juice' on tap that particular day, but I did find their 'Torrey Pines' IPA to fit my requirements.
Considering that we still had several growlers of Auburn Ale House IPA and Sequoia products in the cooler at home we ventured there so as to minimize driving whilst feeling the effects of the hop beverages.
After a fine evening of my Mom's great cooking, the dusting off of nearly all the remaining hop supplies and more great time spent with friends and family we finally had to bid CP adu and we parted after trading fresh roasted coffee and a bottle of Port Brewing Hop 15.
When I got home late the next day I realized that CP had named his recent batch 'Hop Hunter Down Time' apparently in response to my latest nut case idea of getting into shape for our one week 500 mile bicycle ride in June.
And let me tell ya... just like all his special roasted blends .....that coffee just doesn't suck.
Thanks again CP........now where in the world did I leave that grinder.........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And good Hops were had by all...
Thanks Mike!!!!
Cheers

Baublehead said...

I knew I forgot something in the back of your car. Any chance you bring a bag back this way next weekend?

Thanks again CP, the coffee kicks ass!