Thursday, November 8, 2007

Hop Inventory

Ralph, who has been a good friend of mine since before I can hardly remember, turned 50 years old on Tuesday November 6th. His wife Penny decided that he needed to be surprised about it ... so she organized a party on the Saturday following the actual big day and invited dozens of his friends and acquaintances.
Since learning about the party a couple weeks ago I have been diligently collecting beers that I know the quest of honor will be happy to enjoy that evening.
Here is the list of Growlers I have accumulated so far.

Sacramento Brewing - India Pale Ale
Auburn Ale House - Isotope Pale Ale (Weapons Grade IPA) (2 growlers)
Russian River Brewing - Blind Pig (2 growlers)
Russian River Brewing - Pliny the Elder (6 growlers)
Moylans Brewing - Hopsickle
Lagunitas Brewing - Hop Stoopid
Avery Brewing - Hog Heaven

The surprise party is being held in my old home town of Hesperia, which is still Ralph's home town despite the fact that he has totally bought into the reality that my nickname for the place "The cultural Wasteland" is indeed quite apt. Unfortunately for me and Terri Hesperia is 437 miles from Roseville. But since my parents, and Terri's, still live in the town the trip is always worth the effort

We'll leave Saturday morning early and be there in time for a late lunch with David and Lauren in Oak hills. I would call them by their real names of CP and Meal-Ticket but that might lend some to believe this is a less than totally factual account.
The crux of the biscuit, so to speak, is that my caustically clever brother-in-law Jimbo has also been collecting a fine array of beers in his home town of San Diego. He planned to visit Alpine Brewing, Coronado Brewing and Green Flash before heading up to the desert for the planned event. Stay tuned for the report when I get back . . . I'm looking forward to it myself!
As I recall Sequoia Brewing in Fresno and Lengthwise in Bakersfield are pretty much right along our return route as well...hmmmmm

3 comments:

Baublehead said...

I'm guessing Ralph doesn't view this blog?

This sounds like a drunk old time.

The party has to be the greatest gathering of beer in Hesperia in its history.

Rick Sellers said...

Goodness, the Hop Hunter could become the Hop Hunted if he keeps posting his inventory like this. While you head south, I seem to have found my way up north, to Oregon, where I type this and dream of a super-hopped beer. I did have a bottle of Widmer's Broken Halo IPA this weekend, so I suppose we're even.
- Rick

Baublehead said...

Did you say Widmer? I don't speak that language...unless their IPA is better than their Hefe.