Monday, November 19, 2007

Cream isn't Clapton's Back up band

I recently was loaned a copy of Eric Clapton's autobiography, which as of this morning I have finished reading. As several of my friends, and some acquaintances, over the years have come to know I have always been a ardent Cream fan yet not really that big a fan of Clapton in particular.
Sure sure, he's a truly great guitarist and has dwarfed Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker in record sales and popularity since their breakup in 1968 but the guy just annoys me. Or rather more precisely his FANS have always really annoyed me and I'm afraid I have always layed the blame on poor ole Eric's doorstep.
In fact the very person that was kind enough to loan me Clapton's Autobiography was overheard telling her 7 year-old child something to the effect of "Oh listen to this song dear...It's Eric Clapton singing White Room".
Wellllll...as every knowledgeable Cream fan knows..that's Jack Bruce singing that particular song, and most of Creams songs for that matter. Jack and his lyricist collaborator Pete Brown also wrote the tune. A tune that Eric often plays live in his concerts to this day. And good for him, it's a fine tune and he does it pretty well even without Jack's superior vocal range.
So there I go again I guess, lobbying for all three of Creams members to be recognized equally rather than the ridiculous notion that Jack and Ginger were just Eric's sidemen. Hell...read Clapton's book...he'll tell ya...he was virtually intimidated by the skills of his band mates and reached musical heights in that band that he never again achieved.
So ole Eric ain't really such a bad chap...even if he did steal George Harrison's wife Patty (Boyd). But then she has her own book out now as well and you can read all about it from her angle. I did, thanks to Terri's thoughtfulness on my birthday, but frankly I'd rather just go put on my old LP of Disraeli Gears and listen to that at maximum volume.

1 comment:

SteveShark said...

I agree with every word you say.

To be honest, Clapton since about 1970 just makes me yawn, and Cream were far more than Clapton with a bassist and drummer.

What happened with that band was the chemistry of the three of them together.