Thursday, March 6, 2008

An unexpected development

This past year has brought with it a number of interesting beer developments and discoveries but none more surprising and unexpected as all the new Double IPA converts I have observed first hand.
And by new I refer to individuals, mostly female in fact, with very little beer background in general who in a short period of time have come to truly enjoy the attributes of a proper Imperial IPA. Or is that San Diego style IPA or West Coast IPA? Whatever you wish to call them. Personally I don't care what the hell you call them as long as you call me up when you have some to share.
Anyway..... lets start with my own Mother. Since that's where I started it seemed the natural place to begin. In her entire life (prior to the past 18 months or so) I think it would be a stretch to say that she has consumed a total of maybe a couple cases worth of beer. In fact she never really drank much at all, preferring to leave that activity to most everyone else in the family.
In the past year and a half she has discovered Pliny the Elder and to everyones amazement she just loves the stuff. Now on every visit up here to Nor-Cal she looks forward to sharing some with us. Or if I travel South for a visit she expects me to bring some along.
When I originally met my newest daughter in law Oralia she told me she never ever got drunk....and considering her choices of beverages it was easy to see why. Bottled mix drinks, fruit flavored wanna be ciders and even some odd blue concoctions. In less than a year she has become a certified hop head and recently called The Bistro's Double IPA fest possibly her favorite ever drinking experience. Her favorite beers (among others)........Pliny the Elder, Sierra Nevada Celebration, Moylan's Hopsickle and even Pliny the Younger. WTF?
It took me years of sampling and wandering the western states to come to the level of hop appreciation that I have achieved. These women, young and old, have donned the moniker of hop aficionado in mere months.
Then there is my sister in law Nona...a Coors Light drinker from wayyyy back. Her last two visits to our gatherings she has joined into the IPA pourings and is the first to thrust her glass forward when another growler is tapped. She lives in San Diego and naturally now calls Alpine's Pure Hoppiness her friendly home town brew.
I hardly know what to make of it, as wonderful as it is it just leaves me scratching my head. I finally decided it must be the inherent sweetness of these big beers that attracts and satisfies them. At least initially, but then it must be the hops that keeps em coming back for more.
I guess I'm just going to have to continue to produce beers for them to try and study their reactions....ya ....that's the ticket...it's all in the name of research. And I better hide that growler of Pliny the Younger I have stashed away as well, one of them might be coming to town soon.....

4 comments:

Greig McGill said...

Most impressive Mike. I have to say, my wife, Alexandra, is a total hop addict. She loves the IBUs, and also the resionous, juicy hop flavours. I think that women have a natural affinity for hops. I think I should apply for a grant to prove my theory! :)

Steve said...

I have noticed the same. My sister was never into good beer (UCSB grad) but I got her into good craft beer and she immediately gravitated toward the IPA's, and now even double IPA's (Hop 15 is a favorite). Then I cracked open a bottle of Hopslam recently and her, my mom, and my Nana, who never drinks beer and proclaims she doesn't like it, ALL loved it. Crazy stuff huH?

Baublehead said...

Mrs. Hop Hunter drank Foster's for years...now she would laugh at you if you offered her one. Her taste buds are almost strictly uber hopped beers.

And as for Oralia, well she's just impressive. From Smirnoff to Pliny the Younger is 3 years. Not bad, eh?

Oralia said...

Thanks for being impressed with my newly found beer taste. I will say that I have enjoyed discovering, Pale Ale's, IPA's and even the doubles. Once you go double you never go back.

O